2020 Orbea Occam H10 Bike
Keeping it real price-wise is something Orbea feels very strongly about. Though it doesn’t prevent them from making some super slick, pretty pricey bikes, it does mean that they usually have some options available for keen cyclists on a tighter budget. That’s where a beauty like the Orbea Occam Hydro comes in. Fresh off the redesigning line just like the Occam OMR, the Occam Hydro is made using an aluminum frame that offers all the updates of the carbon Occam, but at a great cost savings.
These are not just any aluminum frames. Orbea has taken great care to make this frame as durable, rigid and lightweight to equal their carbon offering. The “Hydro” in the name comes from the fact that they are hydroforming the tubes in order to get the precise thickness they want for the various regions of the frame. This way they do not use too much or too little material, keeping the stiffness to weight ratio extremely impressive. And the smoothed, polished welds have a transformative effect, making it hard to tell the difference at first glance between the aluminum and carbon frames. The high polished triple butted alu also enhances the overall durability and reliability of the frame.
In the same way that the Occam OMR took up the duties that had been shared by the Occam AM and TR, the Occam Hydro is replacing the Occam AMH and TRH. To combine all the best bits of each to make the Occam Hydro a fantastic mid-travel trail bike, Orbea took the 29 inch wheels and paired them with a longer slacker set up as well as the 140mm travel in the rear travel and 140-150mm front suspension to eat up any course. Orbea also tweaked the geometry, tapping down the head angle from 67.5° to 66° while the seat angle gets steepened from 74° all the way up to 77°. With the reach being about 2cm longer than the former Occams, the overall effect is a seriously stable ride on descents, with the steep seat angle delivering crazy efficient pedaling. That will make this not only a dream to descend with, but also climbing becomes a lot more manageable and fun.
The asymmetrical frame design also helps to keep the material at a minimum without compromising on the type of durability and rigidity that helps to make the Occam Hydro confidence-inspiring. Adding an additional stay between the shock and frame also enhances the durability and rigidity at this high stress point. The design also allows for a left-loading water bottle cage inside the triangle. It’s not as hard to work with as it sounds, even for life-long righthanders. It also means that the controls for the shock are easily accessible even as you ride. Orbea has tinkered with the kinematics compared to the previous Occams, so that the suspension is even more sensitive and progressive.
The Orbea Occam Hydro comes in four sizes from S to XL, it should be able to fit anyone from 4’11” (150cm) tall to 6’6” (198cm). Offering an extremely well-priced way to slash your favorite trails in style, the Occam Hydro will keep you happily in the backwoods rippin’ it up with friends.
- Frame: Orbea Occam Hydro High Polished triple butted aluminum
- Shock Option(s): Fox Float DPS Performance 3-position EVOL 210x50mm
- Suspension: UFO w/ concentric dropout pivot
- Rear Travel: 140mm
- Shock SAG: 25-30%
- Fork: Fox 34 Float Performance 140mm (stock), Fox 36 Float Factory GRIP2 RC2 Kashima (optional +$499)
- Headset: ACROS Alloy 1-1/8 – 1-1/2″ Integrated
- Brakes: Shimano MT501 BR520 hydraulic disc (stock), Shimano XT M8120 hydraulic disc (optional +$185)
- Shifters: Shimano XT M8100
- Crank: Shimano XT M8100 32T
- Cassette: Shimano SLX M7100 10-51T 12-Speed
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M8100
- Chain: Shimano M7100
- Wheelset: DT Swiss M-1900 Spline 30c TLR CL
- Tires: Maxxis Forekaster 2.4″ FB 60 TPI Dual Exo TR (stock), Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5″ / Minion DHR 2.4″ TLR (optional +$49)
- Handlebar: OC1 35mm 12mm Rise 780mm (stock), Race Face Aeffect 35 Rise 780mm + Aeffect 35 Kit Bar+Stem (optional +$60)
- Stem: OC1 3D Forged 35mm interface 7º
- Seatpost: OC2 Dropper 31.6mm (stock, 125mm, 150mm, or 175mm), Crank brothers Highline (optional +$199, 125mm, 150mm, or 175mm)
- Saddle: Fizik Taiga S-alloy (stock), Fizik Taiga Kium (optional +$75)
- Sizes: 15” SM | 16.5” MD | 18” LG | 20” XL |
- Colors: Metallic Black, Salmon Blue Indigo
*Specs and pricing are subject to change. Please contact email@example.com for more info.